There is always a lot to do to keep the Discovery Center looking right. Thank you to Joe Devilbiss for making the new covers for the historic planters which stand outside the Discovery Center. They will protect this unique resource we have. Great job!
Today we welcomed a visit from the Bendersville Fire Company Juniors to the Discovery Center. Here they are in the fire-fighting equipment room.
These dedicated volunteers are very active in training and working as volunteer firefighters Thank you for the visit and we hope you had a good time!
In what is fast becoming an annual tradition we celebrated the Smokey Bear birthday party at the Forest Heritage Discovery Center on Sunday, August 6.
Below are more pictures:
It took the efforts of many people to make this event happen:
- Bob Rudy organized the event, arranged for the donations and put on the Smokey suit.
- Ranger Brandon Black accompanied Smokey and drove him around the park.
- Charlie Meyers brought a box of plastic Smokey to distribute.
- Joe Dague volunteered at short notice to run the Forest Heritage Center.
- Peter Linehan helped out for the first part of the afternoon.
- Walmart in Chambersburg donated the beautiful cake and the six-foot sub.
- McDonald’s Delamor Enterprises donated the orange drink.
Yesterday’s Smokey Bear birthday party at the Forest Heritage Center at Caledonia State Park was a great success. Over 115 people came to wish Smokey a Happy Birthday and learn a little about wildfire safety and the story of forest conservation in Pennsylvania. Given that it was a perfect sunny Sunday afternoon, there were many visitors at the park, including families with children.
Many thanks to our sponsors: Walmart for the cake and sub, and McDonald’s for the drinks.
Thanks to our volunteers: Bob Rudy (sponsors and Smokey), Joe Dague (volunteer and firepump demonstrator), and Peter Linehan (volunteer).
Thanks to Caledonia State Park Director Phil Schmidt and Ranger Brandon Black for your help. And finally thanks to Phil Bietsch from Bureau of Forestry District 1 for helping us get the Smokey suit.